fine example of stone carving. It's possible that this
part of the church could have been living accommodation.
Today, there are several crypts in this part of the church.
Along the south wall is an ogham stone that has been
translated to read "BRRUANANN." It's possible
this is old Irish for Brennan, though there is no mention
of this character in local history.
Other carved stones can be found around the site, including
one of the Crucifixion of Christ, which is also located
along the south wall. Three images can be made out on
this stone...Christ on the cross, the Virgin Mary and
a smaller entity with wings. It's possible there was a
fourth image on the stone, but over time it has been obscured.
The stump of the 12th century round tower is on the street
side of the church. This was the monastery's bell tower
and today stands to a height of twenty-two feet.
The graveyard that surrounds the monastery is still consecrated
grounds so is still in use today. There are many striking
grave markers in the older section of the yard, including
iron crosses, traditional High Crosses and some crypts.
The modern section has been enlarged and has more traditional
From the parkland set on the slopping hillside at Aghadoe
Heights, visitors can enjoy outstanding views of the greater
Killarney area. Including the town, one can see the famous
Lakes of Killarney, which include Muckross Lake and Lough
Leane (in Irish Loch Léin), which means "Lake of
Learning." On one end of Lough Leane is Innisfallan
Island, the home of Innisfallan Abbey. The abbey was founded
by St Finian as a center of learning, so the lake was
Also seen from this site is the magnificent MacGillycuddy's
Reeks, Ireland's highest mountain range. In Irish, it's
NA Cruacha Dubha and means "The Black Stacks."
The range stretches about twelve miles and includes Ireland's
high mountain, Carrauntoohil, which stands 1038 meters,
or about 3400 feet, about the same depth as the Arctic
Ocean! There are just two other maintains in Ireland of
similar height-- Beenkeragh, which stands at 1010 meters
and Caher, which stands at 1001 meters.
The Reeks are part of the Armorican Highlands, which
are glacial-carved sandstone and make up the backbone
of the Iveragh Peninsula of County Kerry.
The range gets its name from the Clan Macgillycuddy who
owned the land in this part of the Munster province from
the 18th century until the end of the 20th century.
Between the park and the cemetery
is a small round tower called Parkavonear Castle.